12 Apr 2015

Is it Effective: An Ingredients Analysis on Claire's Cloud 9 Blanc De White Cream


I bought this Cloud9 Blanc De White Cream during Hermo's Christmas Sales 2014 for RM 89.00 (NP: RM 105.00). Since fakes of this product prevailed on the internet, I decided to get it from Hermo (a trustable local online retailer) even at a higher price. I had been using it continuously every night for some 3 months and is now ready to share my thought on it.


Cloud 9 is made of mainly plastic and glass (plastic mainly). It has a simple design but looks elegant enough. A spatula is included for convenient and hygienic purposes. Thumbs up for that! I like the spatula and still keep it even after I finish the cream.



This is how the content looks like - very milky and cloudy. So if your Cloud 9 is creamy or jelly like, it is quite certain that you have got the fake one. Regardless, the texture reminds me that this product is not formulated well enough to have this nearly hard-to-be absorbed texture.



The texture of this cream is quite unique. It has the most adorable smell, plant-like and pleasant. I enjoy having it on my skin so much even though it could be a little drying (I have normal to dry skin) simply because it smells too good. This definitely doesn't smell like some other cheap cosmetics.

It has an instant whitening effect, but the whitening effect is mostly due to the titanium dioxide in here, which is a pigment often used in sunscreen products. It is not dangerous but I somehow feel maybe not something I would like to use at night over a long period of time. Of course, when I first started to use it, I only use it at night, it didn't break me out whatsoever but somehow I thought this is just like putting sunscreen on my face at night, you know.

CLAIMS 

Cloud 9 Blanc De White Cream is an anti-chloasma (pigmentation) cream. It contains 9 natural complex ingredients: aloe, saussurea involucrata (snow lotus), white ginseng, lilium candidum (lily), houttuynia cordata, freesia, daisy, and edelweiss extracts. 

#reduce melanin
#instant brightening
#correct skin tone
#de-pigmentation
#reduce redness


(click here to see the clinical test on this product)

INGREDIENTS

water, titanium dioxide, cyclopentasiloxane, butylene glycol, cyclohexasiloxane, arbutin, dipropylene glycol, sodium acrylate/sodium acryloyldimethyl, taurate copolymer, isohexadecane, phenoxyethanol, aluminum hydroxide, disodium stearyl sulfosuccinamate, caprylyl glycol, glyceryl caprylate, hydrated silica, polysorbate 80, nelumbo nucifera flower extract, aloe barbadensis leaf water, perfume, adenosine, morus alba bark extract, lilium candidum flower extract, saussurea involucrata extract, houttuynia cordata extract, freesia alba flower extract, bellis perennis (daisy) flower extract, leotopodium alpinum flower extract, panax ginseng root extract

INGREDIENTS ANALYSIS

Titanium dioxide is the major ingredient in this cream. It is a safe physical sunscreen which also functions as a coloring agent. However, I wouldn't advise one to use it as a day cream to replace sunscreen. Most sun products I have are made of at least 3-6 sun filters and titanium dioxide alone is definitely insufficient to tackle all sun damage.

The 9 plant extracts which claim to do the anti-pigmentation magic on your skin are listed at the bottom of the list. I don't find convincing amount of research regarding the effectiveness of these ingredients on my skin on the internet though, but sometimes a lack of research doesn't necessary mean a lack of effectiveness. They are lotus seed extract (antioxidant, soothing), aloe vera (soothing), white mulberry tree extract (anti-aging, brightening), lily extract (no sufficient evidence to support its benefits on the skin), snow lotus (block melanin-synthesis), houttuynia cordata extract (antimicrobial, antioxidant), freesia (provide nutrition), daisy (no research backing its benefits for the skin), leontopodium alpinum extract (moisturizing, soothing), panax ginseng root extract (antioxidant). I believe that a majority of the so-called brightening effect comes from the titanium dioxide, mulberry tree extract, snow lotus and ginseng root extract. There will be long-term benefits for continuous use depends on the formulation and technology used.

In my opinion, ingredient-wise, this cream is suitable for aging skin as it seems to provide loads of moisture (emollients), can conceal imperfection (the instant whitening effect), and have herbs with antioxidant and antiaging properties. There isn't any particularly irritating ingredients inside as well. As for individuals with freckles at young age like me, I don't think this is the best product to use, if compared to chemical exfoliant or some real brightening essence.

Packaging ★★★
Texture ★
Application ★★
Scent ★★★★
Ingredients ★★★★
Performance ★★★★

PERFORMANCE


You can see that after 3.5 months, some of my freckles fade. 


I think this works for the lighter freckles as well as those that form later but not old freckles.

CONCLUSION

Overall, I am quite pleased with the performance of this product although its ingredients and formula remain questionable. Although this is called "cream", it is not like the conventional sticky moisturizer that I used to have. It is cloudy and watery at the same time, like tofu in syrup. Regardless, despite its high emollients content, it is not very hydrating. In fact, it seems to slightly dehydrate my skin. Over-applying the product will also leave chalky residue on your face so you must carefully control the amount properly.

On another note, I feel that this cream has been marketized too much. You can see it almost everywhere and everyone is telling you how good they are. But looking at the ingredients, you can see that most of the top-listed ones are solvents, emollients, emulsifiers and moisturizers. Even the amount of preservative and fragrance are more than the plant extracts. Also, the effect of daisy plant extract on your skin is still debatable with some reports that it might cause inflammatory reaction. In addition, titanium dioxide is normally used as sunscreen and I am not exactly sure is this safe to be used at night though but I only use it at night and have no problems from that. So, ingredients-wise, I have no reason to believe that this cream is comparable to some high-end whitening serum (like Kiehl's? I haven't tried, but I might), or is able to do any magic. The Korean clinical testing only proves that it can reduce melanin with the help of sunscreen, diet and physical protection such as wearing an umbrella.

Regardless, you can still see that cream works to eliminate some of the dark spots on my skin from the before vs. after pictures above. These are taken with my 1.9MP front camera so the resolution might be quite low but you can still see the differences. Next time, I will use this cream in the morning and use its serum at night to see if it will do a better work then.

PS: If you are curious, I have tried the serum. It is a runny serum with mica inside to give subtle glowing skin but no significant improvements on the skin observed.


You can get this from: Hermo | Althea | Watsons
[Disclaimer] This is NOT a sponsored review. Products are purchased with my own money. All copy right of contents and images in this article is strictly mine.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...