1 Dec 2015

Review: Laneige White Plus Renew Trial Kit


Have you ever dreamed of becoming Snow White when you were in your childhood? Have you ever wondered why some people have skin so beautiful and flawless as if they are made of snow or glass? Have you ever wondered what makes the gorgeous actress narrating the only female Empress in Chinese history, Wu Mei-Niang looks so stunningly beautiful in bold red? Let me tell you -- it's her near translucent skin tone.


Historically and culturally, women have been preferring paler and flawless-looking skin, since it implies that they belong to the upper class society where they don't have to work under the sun. Although warmer skin tone (tanned skin) is prevailing in the West now, most Asian women still prefer cooler skin tone. This is also why most Asian cosmetics have at least one brightening line.

It's sometimes hard to choose the right brightening products for your skin. They are either too harsh or too drying for your skin. You also want to avoid products with harmful ingredients such as heavy metals that can give instant results but permanent damages. Since I am far from being an ingredients expert -- I prefer brightening products from reputable brands since I can at least have some confidence that these brands won't use controversial ingredients to safeguard their brand images. This's why I choose the White Plus Renew line from Laneige.

Since this will only be a simple review on the Laneige White Plus Renew line, let's keep the introduction short (short???) and go straight to the point.


The trial kit consisted of:

# White Plus Renew Skin Refiner 15ml
#White Plus Renew Emulsion 15ml
#White Plus Renew Original Essence 10ml
#White Plus Renew Original Cream 10ml
#White Plus Renew Capsule Sleeping Pack 3ml

There are 5 other products from the same line that are not included in the trial kit. Except for the bubble cleansers and sunscreen, I'm interested in trying the rest of them:


Laneige White Plus Renew Skin Refiner


The refiner is a toner-type product, which is the first step after cleansing. It is said to contain Swiss White Lupine ingredient that works to reduce moisture loss from skin as well as removing impurities and dead skin cells. The function of this toner is just like what a typical brightening toner does -- gentle exfoliating, double cleansing and moisturizing.

My experience with this refiner is quite positive. My skin feels softer and smoother after using it, although it is not as hydrating as most other toners that I've used.

Laneige White Plus Renew Emulsion


The emulsion is a milky-lotion type product -- a light moisturizer. It functions as a brightening booster through breaking down melanin inside your skin while providing a moisture barrier on your skin. This should be applied after the toner, and before the essence (I get mixed information here, some BA says before, some says after).

I personally feel that this emulsion is just right in the middle - not too heavy nor too light for Malaysian weather. It can be readily absorbed by the skin without leaving any greasy residues, leaving a soft and silky finish. Regardless, this is still not hydrating enough for me -- or for those with normal to dry like myself. I somehow feel that the moisture only stays at the surface.

Laneige White Plus Renew Original Essence


This is an essence, definitely not a serum or an ampoule. You can tell by looking at the texture -- milky yet refined and can be well absorbed by your skin. It's lighter than the emulsion but not as watery as the toner. This is the best-selling and award-winning item in this line. It can moisturize, brighten up skin tone and remove dark spots with its "melacrusher" whitening technology. Active ingredients such as truffle yeast extract and green tea extract are both great anti-oxidant which can prevent the formation of melanin for brighter skin complexion.

Honestly, I feel that this essence is even more moisturizing than the others. Its texture is my favourite among all five, presumably because it can penetrate deeper.

Laneige White Plus Renew Original Essence


The original cream is, like its name, a cream-type product -- which is also your heavy moisturizer. It has the thickest texture among all others, but is still relatively light as a cream. Laneige claims that this is a gel-type cream, which I would agree because it's quite bouncy and can form strings when you dip your fingers into the jar. I personally love dipping my fingers into the cream's display at Laneige counter. It has so much fun although quite unhygienic.

The cream feels quite creamy on my face. I won't say that it moisturizes well because I still feel that the deeper layer of my skin is not moisturized. But, this cream forms a very pleasant protective layer on my skin that makes it so soft to touch. Although it is not very moisturizing, I still enjoy the cream very much.

Laneige White Plus Renew Capsule Sleeping Pack

source: somewhere in the internet 

The last one in the pack is a capsule sleeping mask. You are supposed to mix the gel and cream in the capsule together and sleep with it. I am sorry that I can't show you guys the texture of the product since I didn't take any photos when I used it. The picture above was borrowed somewhere from the internet (I can't retrieve the source).

My personal experience with this sleeping pack was rather negative. I feel that the gel and cream was kinda hard to be mixed, and had a soft agar texture which did not blend well on my skin. My skin was indifference the next morning when I woke up. As such, I still prefer their Water Sleeping Mask over this.

Below are how the samples would look like in their full-size products:


CONCLUSION

I have been using the Laneige White Plus Renew line for 1 week without using any other things - not even a toner. I didn't notice any improvement in my skin texture or tone. After 1 week of using, my skin feels so dry and uncomfortable that I have to stop and start picking up my treatment essence. Of course, our skin renews every 28 days so it's impossible to see changes by just using them for 1 week. But, my point is, you cannot use this in isolation if you have normal to dry skin like me. It will dehydrate you. Although I don't have a wonderful experience with them (due to the lack of moisture that I suffered), I still enjoy using these products -- the scent, the texture and the silkiness. I might consider buying the full size in the near future, but of course only separately. You'll definitely need a hydrating essence for these for best results.




You can get this from: Laneige Malaysia
[Disclaimer] This is NOT a sponsored review. Products are purchased with my own money. All copy right of contents and images in this article is strictly mine.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...