25 Dec 2015

Review: Skinfood Watery Wrap Mask



The reason why I fell in love with this specific mask from Skinfood was quite romantic. I walked pass Skinfood at Sunway Pyramid one day, and spotted this beautiful little thing from the shelf. It cast a "you-would-never-forget-about-me" spell on me the moment I opened the lid and took a sniff. I'd never smelled something so sweet but fresh. It is the kind of smell you would sleep with a smile on. Without second thought, I picked this up from the store and brought it home. It conquered my heart completely just by its smell - how simple can that be? I wasn't even looking for a sleeping mask the moment I walked into the store.

I didn't learn how to take good photo shot when I took this picture. How can I not realize that I've blocked all the light??? Otherwise it would look like Queen of Snow under the light. Sorry my princess.



The Wrap Mask is made of glass. I was so worried that I would break it since I am an expert in breaking things and this thing is too beautiful to break. Luckily, it survived through. As you can see, I'd almost finished the whole jar by the time I took the photo. I tried to stir the wrap mask a bit so that you could see how much was left but soon enough (like, within 3 minutes) it returned to its original smooth state like it had never been stirred before. Yes, it is a memory gel mask.


Normally, I don't like cream or mask with memory gel texture. I feel that these kind of texture would render them hard for absoprtion, just like the sweet-smelling Holika Holika White Wine Therapy Sleeping Mask that I gave to my friend. I didn't dislike that one, I simply dislike its texture.

Holika Holika White Wine Therapy Sleeping Mask

However, this princess is an exception. Although it is very bouncy and jelly, it gets absorbed really well. Not as well as the Neogence sleeping mask , but the cooling effect and protection offered by this wrap mask are similar to Neogence. It is not sticky, but could be a little bit tacky as you rub in it. The tackiness disappears when the product is fully absorbed, like within 10 minutes or so. My skin feels firmer, bouncier, supple and more moisturized after using this. It also cools down my skin a lot. Cooler skin produces lesser oil and are less sensitive, I heard.

CLAIMS

This is a wrap mask that tells the stories of berries. It contains cloudberries, lingonberries, and raspberries from Lapland known for its Santa Claus village which supply abundant antioxidants to revitalize your skin. Also comes with Sodium Hyaluronate to pump up moisture level and transform your skin from dull and dry to soft and glowing.

#overnight protection
#moisturizing
#revitalizing
#softening

picture courtesy of Skinfood Malaysia

INGREDIENTS

정제수, 부틸렌글라이콜, 피이지/피피지-17/6코폴리머, 사이클로펜타실록산, 사이클로헥사실록산, 피이지-240/에이치디아이코폴리머비스-데실테트라데세스-20에텔, 가새함경딸기추출물(1,000mg), 월귤열매추출물(1,000mg), 진들딸기추출물(1,000mg), 트레할로스, 폴리소르베이트20, 디메치콘, 에칠헥실글리세린, 베헤닐알코올, 카프릴릭/카프릭트리글리세라이드, 하이드로제네이티드레시틴, 디메치콘/비닐디메치콘크로스폴리머, 소르비탄라우레이트, 에칠헥실팔미테이트, 소듐하이알루로네이트, 디소듐이디티에이, 알지닌, 실리카디메칠실릴레이트, 페녹시에탄올, 향료

My Translation
(please cite me if you want to copy any of these)

Aqua, Butylene Glycol, PEG/PPG-17/6Copolymer, Cyclopentasiloxane, Cyclohexasiloxane, PEG-240/HDI Copolymer Bis-Decyltetradeceth-20 Ether, Rubus Arcticus Fruit Extract (1,000mg), Vaccinium Macrocarpon (Cranberry) Fruit Extract (1,000mg), Rubus Chamaemorus Fruit Extract (1,000mg), Trehalose, Polysorbate 20, Dimethicone, Ethylhexylglycerin, Behenyl Alcohol, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Hydrogenated Lecithin, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Sorbitan Laurate, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Sodium Hyaluronate, Disodium EDTA, Arginine, Silica Dimethyl Silylate, Phenoxyethanol, Fragrance

{acne-triggering/irritating, problematic ingredient, active/good ingredient, moisturizers}

INGREDIENTS ANALYSIS

The ingredients in this little jar are quite straight-forward and simple. It doesn't contain a long list of fancy ingredients, just raspberry, bilberry, cloudberry, and sodium hyaluronate as claimed. I always prefer better focused and simpler formulated skincare items. For me, an orange is orange; apple is apple; and kiwi is kiwi. You might mix apple and orange together, but it would be a disaster mixing every single fruits that you like. Imagine orange-apple-kiwi-pineapple-rambutan-durian smoothie? Urgh.. so gross.

A lot of the ingredients are moisturizers (flagged blue), among which trehalose, lecithin, arginine and sodium hyaluronate are known for their superior moisturizing abilities. Active ingredients include bilberry, cloudberry and raspberry as well as arginine are good antioxidants to prevent the formation of free radicals on your skin.

Not a lot of problematic ingredients here. The safety of PEG/PPG-17/6 Copolymer is being accessed multiple times but there hasn't been any valid studies confirming its toxicity or safety (reference 1, reference 2). There is also very little ingredients with comedogenic and irritation concerns. Hence, this would be safe for those with acne or sensitive skin issues.


VERDICT

Packaging (85%)
Scent (92%)
Texture (75%)
Cost-Performance (72%)
Ingredients (76%)
Efficacy (80%)

78.95%
good and is within my expectation

CONCLUSION

This wrap mask is perfect for winter-time, also great for summer-time. It's bouncy and resilient enough to protect you from the harsh winter season, but is light and easily absorbed to tackle sweaty and hot summer nights. It would do a good job as well for those sleeping in air-conditioned room, as an added layer of protection as you sleep.

Any age group or skin type can use this. However, I think this is better suited for younger skin. Its sweet berries scent will also be favoured by younger people. As for older skin, perhaps you could check out Red Wine Sleeping Mask from Innisfree.

In short, I think this is a very moisturizing and bouncy sleeping mask. Since this is termed wrap mask, you can also apply this as a wash-off pack in addition to treating it as a sleeping pack. It is meant to form a layer of protection on your skin, hence the name "wrap". I personally didn't find anything too impressive nor bad from this wrap mask. It is a very nice sleeping mask but not fantastic, but definitely a very nicely-scented one that you will fall in love with.


You can get this from: Skinfood Malaysia / RoseRoseShop
[Disclaimer] This is NOT a sponsored review. Products are purchased with my own money. All copy right of contents and images in this article is strictly mine.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...