13 Feb 2017

Review: Cosrx Low pH Good Morning Gel Cleanser


If you have sensitive, acne-prone and oily skin looking for something to kick start and refresh your day, then this is the product that you are looking for!

Actually, I have heard about Cosrx Low pH Good Morning Gel Cleanser quite some time ago and only got to buy it for my bf last year. If you follow me on Instagram, you'll notice that my bf bought himself a set of Kiehl's skincare and was quite committed to that. However, he sometimes complains that Kiehl's Calendula Foaming Wash is a little bit too deep-cleansing and drying for morning uses hence was looking for something gentler. As such, I bought him this cleanser having read a lot of informative reviews on it!



Official website claims that this is a low pH and gentle gel cleanser that will not strip the skin of its natural moisture. It also contains a bunch of botanical extracts like tea tree oil to restore the skin to its healthy state.

Does pH in cleanser matter?

Well, according to Joshua Zeichner, the director of cosmetic and clinical research at Mount Sinai Hospital in NYC, pH does matter for your skin. Our skin prefers something slightly acidic and works best at around pH 4-6. This outer layer of our skin which gets the most exposure to the environment is what we call an acid mantle. It has to remain in a certain pH level to work best.

Sometimes cleanser we use could be a little bit too alkaline (8-9), as alkalinity helps remove grime and dirt. But doing so means that our skin needs longer time to return to its normal pH level. And for unhealthier skin, this will bring more skin troubles like acne, irritation and dryness. You will get a clearer idea of how pH affect your skin through this amazing article.

Does pH in cleanser matter for me?

But if you ask me, do I care about the pH of my cleanser? I don't. I have normal to dry skin and I always find that as long as I use a hydrating toner or serum after cleansing my face, it will always find its way home to its happy state. But don't get me wrong though, I don't use very drying cleanser, or soap. I just don't pH-proof every single cleanser I have tried because I am freaked out by higher pH cleansers. As long as it does not dry me out, it will pass. But that's just me. You need to be a good boy if your skin is less healthy, okay?

Back to the product

Basically, Cosrx Low pH Good Morning Gel Cleanser is a gel-to-foam cleanser that is suitable for oilier, acne-prone and sensitive skin. It will also work really well for those who prefer to splash their face with water in the morning who think that water is sufficient to remove grime and dirt. I am a morning cleansing person. I cannot get out of the house without at least washing my face with some kind of cleanser and water. Over the night your skin should be loaded with enough waste, pollutants and dirt that you should get rid of before facing the morning sunlight. At least that's what I think.

Drier skin might not find this pleasant or necessary. I have a few friends who told me that they don't like gel-to-foam cleanser because those always feel wrong on their drier skin. I personally have that feeling as well so this cleanser, despite my bf has a lot of love for, is not a thing for me.

INGREDIENTS

Water, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Sodium Lauroyl Methyl Isethionate, Polysorbate 20, Styrax Japonicus Branch/Fruit/Leaf Extract, Butylene Glycol, Saccharomyces Ferment, Cryptomeria Japonica Leaf Extract, Nelumbo Nucifera Leaf Extract, Pinus Palustris Leaf Extract, Ulmus Davidiana Root Extract, Oenothera Biennis (Evening Primrose) Flower Extract, Pueraria Lobata Root Extract, Melaleuca Alternifolia (Tea Tree) Leaf Oil, Allantoin, Caprylyl Glycol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Betaine Salicylate, Citric Acid, Ethyl Hexanediol, 1,2-Hexanediol, Trisodium Ethylenediamine Disuccinate, Sodium Benzoate, Disodium EDTA

INGREDIENTS ANALYSIS


Ingredients-wise, this cleanser uses surfactants like cocamidopropyl betaine, sodium lauroyl methyl isethionate, and polysorbate 20. Not the gentlest surfactants according to CosDNA but considered decent compared to drugstore cleanser. Highlighted are skin-benefiting ingredients inside this cleanser but the key ingredients are tea tree oil and betaine salicylate (BHA). Others like Japanese snowbell, lotus extract, Japanese cedar, ulmus davidiana, evening primrose, kudzu and so on are mostly antioxidants and anti-inflammatory ingredients that complement the soothing property of this cleanser. I don't want to go into too much details on the good ingredients meant to be washed off the drain. It is like a waste of my time as well. For me, a good cleanser must be gentle, moisturizing without a very high pH. And this pass the gentle and pH requirements at the very least.

PERFORMANCE

I bought this for my bf who has dehydrated, acne-prone and oily skin. He enjoys it as a gentle and non-stripping cleanser in the morning but told me that this is not deep-cleansing enough for the evening. Those who put on makeup will also find this ineffective at removing any leftover residues on their face. Hence, we shall stick to its name, which is a Good Morning cleanser. He did not see significant improvements on his acne or oiliness after using this cleanser though hence would not repurchase given the price as he finds Kiehl's to be more "worth-it" compared to Cosrx. In fact, he still hasn't finished his Kiehl's after almost a year and he has already finished Cosrx in 3 months.

CONCLUSION

packaging: ★★
scent: ★★★
texture: ★★★☆
ingredients: ★★★☆
performance - hydrating: ★★★
performance - brightening: ★
performance - deep-cleansing: ★★★ 
GENERAL IMPRESSION: ★★★☆, suitable for acne-prone, oily and sensitive skin in the morning


You can get this from: Hermo | Soko Glam | Wishtrend
[Disclaimer] This is NOT a sponsored review. Products are purchased with my own money. All copy right of contents and images in this article is strictly mine.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...