15 Jun 2017

Good News for Oily/Combination Skin! Comparison Review: Guerisson 9 Complex Cream vs. Light Cream


Good news for all oily skin folks! Now you get to try the Guerisson 9 Complex Light Cream!

To be honest, I bought the Guerisson 9 Complex Cream (Original) from Hermo several months back but always don't have the motivation to talk about it. I guess that's because I used store it in the office and forget about using it all the time. It so happens that Hermo contacted me a month ago asking if I am interested to try out (and give my opinion on) their newly launched Guerisson 9 Complex Cream (Light) which I almost unhesitatingly give my nod! So now, you guys get to read this comparison review on both creams! Yay!



Lets start off with this Guerisson 9 Complex Cream (Original)!

I am not kidding when I say this is sold like cabbage across the beauty community. People are stocking it up like no tomorrow whenever Hermo or Althea are having sales on it. The price of this also goes from RM 100 to less than half, due to popularity (lower cost of production) and of course competition (among the retailers). People are just buying it, raving about it, and stocking it up.


There are claims that this can reduce acne scars, and there are also women who use it on their stretch marks saying that it can completely prevent stretch marks. And even if these are not for you, this cheap (RM 46) cream is also perfect for nourishing and repairing purposes! So what are the reasons not to buy it? ...so I fell into the trap.


Although the packaging and such tells me that this is an European product, this is actually made in Korea. The product is housed in a nice little "nest". You can let the cream sits on the box even after you open it.


The cream comes sealed (double layer protection). Unseal to reveal a light yellowish cream. It smells pleasantly orange. Not weird, cheap citrusy scent, just orange.


The cream is very creamy and rich. It definitely is an emollient and occlusive cream, and is more suitable for dry to very dry skin. It sinks in really fast into your skin after light massaging though, but will leave an occlusive layer on top of your skin so I don't think oily skin should use this.

INGREDIENTS ANALYSIS


There isn't any English ingredients on the packaging so I shall use the one I found on the CosDNA website.

There is a hefty amount of emollients, emulsifiers (to mix the oil and moisture together), and occlusives in here, including shea butter, beeswax, olive derivatives, jojoba seed oil, soybean oil, and many more. You'll be fainted if I list them all down. Good ingredients are horse oil, niacinamide, snail mucin, and a bunch of botanical extracts. A lot of these are fragrance oil, and a vast majority of them are antioxidants, anti-inflammatory and humectants.


Let's look at the horse oil first. Guerisson website claims that horse oil is recorded in Chinese medical bible "Compendium of Materia Medica" as an anti-wrinkles, de-pigmentation, and skin softening ingredient. Its amazing healing effect allows soldiers to use it a wound healing ingredient at war. It is said to be the closest in term of fatty acids composition to human sebum hence making it a great skin-identifical ingredient with skin repairing property.

9-herbs-complete

Other skincare ingredients include peppermint, apple, sage, rosemary, lavender, rose, lemon balm, chamomile, and bergamot, which make up the 9 complex in the name of this cream. These are commonly used soothing, anti-oxidizing, and astringent ingredients. 

Now, let's look at Guerisson 9 Complex Light Cream.


The packaging of the Light Cream is similar to the Original Cream, but a bit smaller in size since this only has 45g of product inside.


On the packaging, it says "stored below 21°C", which means below room temperature (in the fridge or air-conditioned room) if you live in Malaysia. However, I don't have issue storing it under room temperate here.







The product comes sealed just like the Original Cream. It also comes with a spatula but without the "base" like the Original Cream.



Unseal to see this creamy and luxurious gel cream consistency. It smells exactly like the Original Cream.



The cream blends nicely on the skin. It still feels like an emollient cream but not as greasy and as occlusive as the Original Cream. It gets absorbed really well into the skin without leaving any greasy residue even though I apply a lot. Won't say that it is feathery light, but the consistency is a vast improvement from the original formula. Leaves a moist and nourished feeling. No tackiness whatsoever. It forms a little bit of occlusive layer on the skin.



INGREDIENTS



Water, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Butylene Glycol, Glycerin, Horse Fat, Cyclopentasiloxane, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter, Niacinamide, Cetearyl Olivate, Sorbitan Olivate, Cyclohexasiloxane, Cetearyl Alcohol, Beeswax, Dimethicone, Polyglyceryl-6 Distearate, Betaine, Elaeagnus Glabra Extract, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Sodium Acrylate/Sodium Acryloyldimethyl Taurate Copolymer, Jojoba Esters, Titanium Dioxide, Glyceryl Caprylate, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Fragrance, Isohexadecane, Propanediol, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Snail Secretion Filtrate, Sorbitan Oleate, Disodium EDTA, Hydrated Silica, Aluminium Hydroxide, 1,2-Hexanediol, Carbomer, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Centella Asiatica Extract, Sodium Hyaluronate, Phenoxyethanol, Octyldodecanol, Polysorbate 20, Caprylyl Glycol, Ligularia Fishceria Leaf Extract, Bixa Orellana Seed Oil, Nonoxynal-12, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Flower Extract, Melissa Officinalis Leaf Extract, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract, Monarda Didyma Leaf Extract, Rosa Centifolia Flower Extract, Salvia Officinalis (Sage) Leaf Extract, Mentha Rotundifolia Leaf Extract, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Leaf Extract, Mentha Piperita (Peppermint) Leaf Extract, Hydrogenated Lecithin, Ceramide NP, Astaxanthin, Tocopherol, Palmitoyl Tripeptide-1, Palmitoyl Tetrapeptide-7

INGREDIENTS ANALYSIS


For those of you who are concerned about the potency of this Light Cream, I can assure you that most of the wonderful ingredients from the Original Cream remains the same here. We still have a lot of horse oil, niacinamide, shea butter, jojoba seed oil, green tea seed oil, and snail mucin extract. We also have additional sunflower seed oil, cherry silver berry extract, and so on. I am not trying to promote that "more is better" but rest assure that Claire's or Guerisson didn't suddenly take out all the good stuffs in this Cream after the reformulation. But I wanna mention though that the "9 complex" which consisted of anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidizing and firming botanical extracts come in smaller amount here. In other words, you get lesser of those 9 complex benefits but more of the others. This is not an issue for me, but if you are concerned about this, then you should think first before buying.

COMPARISON



Now come the direct PK part.



Consistency-wise, the Original Cream is a rich, buttery, occlusive cream that will never change its shape no matter how you shake it or stir it. It just looks like fat --> solid fat. It never gets absorbed into my face no matter how hard I try, and will always leave a greasy finish despite of the amount I use. I think only dry to very dry skin will love this.

The Light Cream is much more "normal" that looks like most other gel cream in the market. It is still rich, but a lot more applicable and skin-friendly. It gets absorbed easily, leaving a moist and nourished finish. Won't say that it is "light", but definitely much lighter than the Original Cream and is easier to absorb. I think the Light Cream will be good for those with normal to dry skin. Combination skin can give this a try too if you like emollient cream.


creamy vs. buttery


creamy finish vs. oily finish

PERFORMANCE AND APPLICABILITY

At this point of time,  I don't think I have any informed opinions regarding the performance of the horse oil cream to share with you guys. I didn't use it everyday, and I just started using the Light Cream a month ago, so I can't really attribute any skincare benefits to both products.

I normally use the Original Cream on my ankles, knees, and elbows because those are the driest part of my body. I don't even use it as a neck cream due to its richer consistency. I might repurchase in the future if I am pregnant to see if it really helps on stretch marks but that's definitely not now. I won't say that this product has helped to fade the pigmentation around those drier areas on my body, but it does offer a long-lasting comfort that most body lotion cannot offer.

As for the Light Cream, I am happier now that I can finally apply the horse oil on my face. The product is also smaller, lighter and much more portable, so I can carry it around with me if I go to drier places or during travelling. So far, I can tell that It does a good job moisturizing and protecting my skin, but not so sure about the brightening and anti-aging parts. I will come back with more reviews later after giving this a longer try.

BRIEFLY: GUERISSON 9 COMPLEX TONER


I also bought this to see if there is anything special about a "horse oil toner". I mean, horse oil + watery toner? Unimaginable!



The consistency is pretty watery. It smells like other Guerisson products though. Quite moisturizing on the skin. But other than that, didn't see any skin improvements after using it for about 2 months, ended up giving it away to my aunt who is willing to "adopt" this.

CONCLUSION

I am not a fan of emollient or occlusive, which may explain why I am not that impressed or vowed by this product. However, YMMV, so if you have different preferences or skin needs, then I must say that horse oil is definitely a great ingredient, and Guerisson is by far one of the best manufacturers of horse oil. I have tried Elizavecca Horse Oil, and believe you'll never go back to Elizavecca once you have tried Guerisson one out. Horse oil cream also offers one of the best protective benefits against winter months and can heal skin damages. It is always good to keep at least one at home (plus Hermo is selling them at cheap prices)!


Guerisson 9 Complex Cream
packaging: ★★★★
scent: ★★★★
texture: ★
ingredients: ★★★★
performance - nourishing: ★★★★ (for drier skin)
general impression: ★★☆ (can only use it on my body)

Guerisson 9 Complex Cream Light
packaging: ★★★★
scent: ★★★★
texture: ★★★☆ (find it a bit too rich, YMMV)
ingredients: ★★★★ 
performance - moisturizing: ★★★ (for drier skin)
general impression: ★★★☆ (more suitable for drier skin)

You can get this from: Hermo | Althea | Sasa | Watson's
[Disclaimer] This is NOT a sponsored review. The Original Cream is purchased with my own money whereas the Light Cream is provided by Hermo in exchange for my honest review. All copy right of contents and images in this article is strictly mine.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...