18 Jul 2017

Review: Yuri Pibu Cucu Maronza Eye Cream


Truffle is a real thing in Asian cosmetics. In Chinese, it is called 松露, which is a type of fungus that are believed to possess skin brightening, melanin suppressing, and anti-oxidizing benefits. I couldn't find a lot of research backing the skincare efficacy of black diamond truffle, which is the truffle species used in this eye cream. 

The Klog, a blog edited by the famous kbeauty curator Soko Glam, however, writes a really nice article on white truffle. This plant is said to have antioxidizing, immunity-boosting, anti-aging, wrinkles-repairing, dark spots reducing and skin repairing properties. Basically, everything you ever want to make sure you still look baby-doll-like and well polished. But it doesn't go into details about black truffle. Verve magazine ranked black diamond truffle as one of the 5 premium ingredients to achieve a flawless complexion. Glow Recipe, which curates this product on its website, claims that black truffle contains super moisturizing lipids that are essential components of the skin to help filling up cracks and dry lines in the skin. It also contains superoxide dismutase, a type of enzyme with powerful antioxidizing properties to reduce signs of aging.


Asides from black diamond truffle, this product also contains sarcodon imbricatus, a type of tooth fungus that is also edible, more commonly known as the scaly hedgedog to the consumers. In skincare, it has the ability to soothe and protect the skin from aggressors by boosting immunity of the skin. It is also rich in polysaccharides, sterols, fatty acids and polyphenols to offer ample anti-aging and wrinkles-repairing benefits.

So let's look at the product that carries these two super luxurious ingredients - the Yuri Pibu Cucu Maronza Eye Cream



I bought this after my pleasant experience with Yuri Pibu Artichoke Power Essence so I wanted to try out something else's from the brand. I also purchased the lotus and black tea masks. I thought ah well if the Artichoke Power Essence is good, then this black truffle eye cream must be great since it contains a good load of nutrients inside. That's how I ended up with it.



There is about 30ml of product inside, which I thought was pretty generous since most eye cream only comes in 20 or 25, Kiehl's eye cream only has 15g of product inside.



The eye cream looks luxurious enough. It is like melted butter at first glance. There is a very distinctive spicy essential oils scent to it, as if you are frying something with spicy butter. Not my personal favourite.



The eye cream has a whipped texture, which means it is very creamy and bouncy to touch, but gets absorbed into the skin effortlessly without too much patting. You can still tell that it is an emollient cream but much better than my Whamisa Organic Flowers Water Cream in term of absorbency. Perfect for those with normal to dry under eye areas. Oily skin find might it rich.

INGREDIENTS (ANALYSIS)


Tuber Melanosporum Extract, Sarcodon Aspratus Extract, Glycerin, Argania Spinosa Kernel Oil, Orbignya Oleifera Seed Oil, Macadamia Oil, Cetearyl Alcohol, Shea Butter, Stearic Acid, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil, Behenyl Alcohol, Sweet Almond Oil, Arachidyl Glucoside, Arachidyl Alcohol, Olive Oil, Trehalose, Cetearyl Olivate, Sorbitan Olivate, Polyglyceryl-3 Methylglucose Distearate, Betaine, Jojoba Oil, Pulsatilla Koreana Extract, Glyceryl Caprylate, Sclerotium Gum, Usnea Barbata (Lichen) Extract, Zanthoxylum Piperitum Fruit Extract, Annatto Seed Oil, Tocopherol, Helianthus Annus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Cordyceps Sinensis Extract, Baobab Seed Oil, Fragrance, Adenosine, Algae Extract, Hericium Erinaceum (Mushroom) Extract, Laminaria Japonica Extract, Camellia Japonica Seed Oil, Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate, Lactobacillus/Portulaca Oleracea Ferment Extract, Brassica Oleracea Italica (Broccoli) Extract, Apricot Kernel Oil, Rice Bran Oil, Aspergillus/Rice Ferment Extract, Aspergillus/Saccharomyces/Barley Seed Ferment Extract, Xylitol, Pearl Extract, Undaria Pinnatifida Extract, Caffeine, Laminaria Digitata Extract, Scutellaria Baicalensis Root Extract, Yeast/Grape Ferment Extract, Saccharomyces Ferment Filtrate


Yuri Pibu claims that 60% of this cream is made of black truffle extract. And if you look at the remaining list, at least 50% are nourishing oils, roughly 15% are botanical extracts, leaving little to no room for the nasty things, so the list looks pretty "greeny" on CosDNA. In other words, it should not be an issue for sensitive and acne-prone skin.

Most of these nourishing oils such as argan oil, macadamia oil, shea butter (I actually consider butter a form of oil), soybean oil, sweet almond oil, olive oil, jojoba oil, annatto seed oil, sunflower seed oil, baobab seed oil, camellia seed oil, apricot kernel oil, rice bran oil, and many more are emollients. A whole lot are occlusive, which means they can form a seal on your skin to prevent moisture loss. They are sources of essential fatty acids such as linoleic acid, oleic acid, palmitic acid, stearic acid and so on, all serving different repairing and moisturizing benefits for your skin. Soybean oil is a good source of amino acids and skin repairing agent that can help correct signs of damage, its isoflavones content is also commonly used in many anti-aging formulas due to its ability to renew and strengthen the skin cells. Baobab oil, in addition, has excellent wound-healing and therapeutic properties for the skin.

Non nourishing oils extracts are mostly there for additional antioxidizing, repairing and wrinkles-repairing properties, which I think are included to compliment or boost the efficacy of the black truffle and hedgedog big brothers there. Many extracts are moisturizers especially marine ingredients such as algae, brown algae, wakame, oarweed and so on. There are also yeast and caffeine in the very bottom of the list, which in my opinion, is pretty obsolete since it is in pretty insignificant amount. You may, however, console yourself that you are having caffein in your eye cream to depuff your eyes but I personally don't think it would be that helpful. Putting chilled silver spoon on your eye bags might be a better idea.

PERFORMANCE


I have a rather mixed feelings on this eye cream. It feels like a “fat bomb” for me, with all the fatty acids and botanical oils ingredients. I wouldn’t say that it is greasy or oil, because it still manages to be fully absorbed, but definitely not the kind of lightweight-ness I prefer or is comfortable with for a cream.

I have been using this for about 7 months and I still have at least half of it left. The product description claims that you can only use this for 6 months since it doesn’t contain a lot of preservatives, but I don’t have any issue using it past that 6 months period. Even Whamisa Watery Cream which is said to be good for 6 or 8 months gives me a good 14 months shot (although I never attempt to put it on my face) without any changes sighted in its smell, colour or texture. I use this mostly in the office, where the temperature is low, and the environment gets really dry. Even so, I still have tonnes of product left so you are advised to be more generous with your usage if you are worried about the shelf life, and don’t want to waste it.

I have to be very honest with you guys that I do not see major improvements to my dark circles and fine lines after adding this into my routine. My skin does appear plumper and stays hydrated for longer in my air-conditioned office, but nothing other than better hydration. My dark circles are as bad as my lifestyle. My fine lines never improve. I sometimes notice that the fine lines are not as deep though, but that is mostly due to better light reflection with proper skin hydration. It all goes back to normal after I wash my face. I think the only thing I enjoy from this eye cream is how moisturized my skin feels afterward. Other than that, I don’t think this is as precious as it claims. I don’t think it is much better than my Belif Firming and Moisturizing Eye Cream either. So, yeah, I can call this a slight disappointment.

CONCLUSION


Having said all these, I think this eye cream will benefit individuals with sensitive, dry and mature skin the best. Oily skin is advised to look for lighter alternative whereas combination/normal skin can give this a try since it has a velvety texture and gets absorbed into the skin pretty fast. But if you ask me, I don't like it and won't repurchase because I don't really enjoy the texture of this eye cream as much as I would like to, and the scent turns me off. Its lack of performance also gives me no reason to continue using it.

Pros:
- a little goes a long way, value for money
- pretty affordable as an eye cream
- contains premium ingredients
- lightweight, buttery, whipped cream consistency that gets absorbed into the skin really fast
- provides long-lasting hydration and comfort to the eye
- minimal preservative, wonderful for sensitive skin

Cons:
- unpleasant, spicy essential oil scent
- short shelf life
- lack of performance

Overall impression: ★★★☆
Repurchasing: ★
You can get this from: Glow Recipe | Ebay | Testerkorea | Gmarket
[Disclaimer] Product is purchased with my own money. All copyright of contents and images in this article is strictly mine.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...