6 Aug 2017

Review: Neogen Dermalogy Real Flower Cleansing Water - Rose


My expectation on cleansing water goes up vastly after my experience with the lovely Son & Park Beauty Water. I expect my cleansing water to feel like toner, is refreshing, lightweight, has exfoliating properties and cleanse well at the same time. So when I opened this Neogen Real Flower Cleansing Water I expect it to as good as if not better than Son & Park. After all, it is considered a highly raved product and is not cheap either, so it is very reasonable to expect some good from it. However, having used it for 2 months now, I am sad to conclude that this is nowhere comparable to  Son & Park.

Read on to find out more about why I find this a less satisfying cleansing water!



I think we all agree that the Neogen Real Flowers Cleansing Water is a beautiful-looking product. It comes in a pinkish bottle with real flower petals floating inside. Sort of like a cleansing water version of the popular Fresh Rose Deep Hydration Facial Toner.


The Cleansing Water looks and feels like rose water. It smells like rose too but not the "high-class" rose but rather a soapy, "cheaper" rose scent.


I normally use this in my lunch hour or as the first step of my evening double cleansing routine. It can thoroughly remove all dirt, dust, and sunscreen. It can remove colour makeup but you need to place your cotton soaked with this product on your makeup for at least 20-30 seconds for better cleansing.


Rinsing is not required for this product, or at least this is what it claims, but my face always feels uncomfortable if I don't rinse it with water later. I will swipe it with a cotton pad soaked with water if I am outside and cannot rinse my face with water. I think this is also why I find it nowhere near the performance of Son & Park. I can do really well without rinsing with Son & Park but not Neogen. When I don't rinse my face afterward, I find that all skincare I put on later does not get absorbed well.

INGREDIENTS


Water, PEG-6 Caprylic/Capric Glycerides, Rosa Damascena Flower, Hibiscus Sabdariffa Flower, Rosa Damascena Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Flower Extract, Brassica Oleracea Italica (Broccoli) Extract, Symphytum Officinale Leaf Extract, Hyaluronic Acid, Cucumis Sativus (Cucumber) Fruit Extract, Xylitol, Centella Asiatica Extract, 1,2-Hexanediol, Dipropylene Glycol, Cetrimonium Chloride, Sodium Chloride, Phenoxyethanol, Panthenol, Ethylhexylglycerin ,PEG-60 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Disodium EDTA, Fragrance

INGREDIENTS ANALYSIS


This cleansing water uses  PEG-6 caprylic/capric glyceride, a type of relatively safe surfactant and emulsifier to dissolve makeup and dirt. It has a safety rating of 3/7 on CosDNA.

Other ingredients, apart from the surfactant and water, are mainly plant extracts. We have rose extract, roselle extract, aloe vera extract, rosemary extract, broccoli extract, comfrey leaf extract, cucumber extract, and centella asiatica extract. Roselle is a known wound-healing, anti-oxidizing and elasticity-improving ingredient. It is particularly useful to revert stress and aging-related sign of aging. Comfrey extract contains allantoin to soothe, de-stress and calm the skin while providing great moisturizing an skin softening benefits. Rose, aloe vera, centella asiatica, broccoli and rosemary are all antioxidants with skin soothing benefits. Broccoli is also a really well known purifying ingredient to slough off dead skin cells and soften the skin.

The rest of the ingredients, in addition to those mentioned above, are mainly preservative, emulsifier, viscosity control and some basic moisturizers (hyaluronic acid, xylitol, panthenol, and ethylhexylglycerin).

In short, this seems like a botanical juices infused cleansing water using gentle surfactant and "simple" ingredients.

PERFORMANCE


I have tested this on my waterproof eyeliner, lipstick and eyeshadow. As you can see, this does not take off my makeup in the first try. It does remove my lipstick and eyeshadow within several swipes but not my eyeliner. I need to use excessive amount of force on my skin to take off those waterproof eyeliner. Well, you can say that it is because the eyeliner is waterproof but I have been using other cleansing waters on the same eyeliner, all remove it without excessive effort needed. Hence, I can conclude that this has average cleansing power.

CONCLUSION


I have normal-to-high expectation on this cleansing water. It looks really pretty with the flower petals so I kinda expect it to smell like Melvita Floral Water (which is a mist toner) but it disappoints me a lot. I think it smells worse than many products that claim to contain rose. I also expect it to cleanse well but gentle, since Neogen markets itself as a dermatological brand. It is gentle enough, but doesn't cleanse well. Next, I expect it to function like a cleansing toner, where my skin will feel alright without the need of rinsing. But NO, my skin feels odd if I don't rinse it with water. If I cannot rinse it, I will make sure that I use a cotton pad soaked with plain water to remove the residue it has on my skin.

I think I will still finish this off. It is not essentially bad or obsolete. It is just a bit disappointing. Even Garnier Cleansing Water that costs me only RM 20 works better than this. I think you can still use this, if you can cleanse your face with a foam cleanser later on, but I wouldn't recommend that you use it as a cleansing toner. Not only does it cleanse poorly, it will also "block" all other skincare from being properly absorbed into your skin. In short, not recommended, would not repurchase.

Pros:
- beautiful packaging

Cons:
- low CP value (not expensive but is considered under-performing at its price)
- smell like cheap rose-scented bar soap
- leaves an unpleasant residue on the skin
- doesn't cleanse well, only suitable for lighter makeup and sunscreen

Overall impression: ★★
Repurchasing: ☆
You can get this from: Hermo | Soko Glam
[Disclaimer] Product is purchased with my own money. All copyright of contents and images in this article is strictly mine.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...